Commission takes on new role as Chair of Scottish NPM Sub-Group
The Commission has been appointed as Chair of the Scottish sub-group of the United Kingdom’s National Preventative Mechanism (NPM) and member of the UK NPM Steering Group.
The UK NPM was established in March 2009 as part of the UK’s commitment under the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT). It is made up of 21 statutory bodies that independently monitor places of detention.
The Scottish Sub-group was established in 2014 and represents the interests of Scottish members of the UK NPM. The current members of the sub-group are:
- Scottish Human Rights Commission (Chair)
- HM Inspectorate of Prisons for Scotland
- The Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
- Care Inspectorate
- Independent Custody Visitors Scotland
- HM Inspectorate of Constabulary for Scotland
Meetings are also attended by the UK NPM coordinator.
Find out more about the role of the UK NPM and the Scottish Sub-group on our website.